Secon has welcomed the first group of cadet security engineers into its Cyber Academy training program this week.
In December, Secon announced its partnership with St. Paul University Philippines (SPUP) to deliver an internship program that aims to train the next generation of cyber professionals. As part of this technical transition program, cadets receive a thorough immersion into the world of cyber security and gain the opportunity to develop their skills within a structured, experienced-based program.
Each student will undergo a six-month training program with Secon’s team of cyber security experts so they can have the best possible start to their career in cyber security. The first group of trainees consists of five final year students from SPUP. This small group size ensures that each cadet will be able to receive close mentoring from Secon’s security engineers.
By the end of the course in June, outstanding cadets will receive job offers from Secon to join its security operations centre (SOC). Secon also has plans to further expand this course to professionals in the future to help those already in the IT industry to explore or transition to a career in cyber security.
Mars Cacacho, Secon Cyber Academy Lead, said,
It typically takes two months to onboard a new SOC hire, so this six-month training course will set our cadets up for success. At the end of the program, our Cadet Engineers should be familiar with the basic and fundamental SOC processes, tools, techniques, and mindset. We hope by the end, they can also become our teammates as well.
After the six-month training course, cadets should be able to:
- Apply the foundational concepts of cyber security principles to build, manage, and secure systems.
- Analyse systems to determine the security objectives, policies, and threats, and select appropriate controls to mitigate risks.
- Perform system security assessments by applying skills in security case handling, forensics, and incident response to identify potential vulnerabilities and provide solutions.
- Demonstrate awareness in the use of system administration tools.
- Recognise professional responsibilities and make informed judgements in cyber security practices based on legal and ethical principles.
Secon believes that by sharing knowledge and expertise with the future generation, everyone can work together to build a safe and secure future. This is the fundamental driving force behind the Cyber Academy and with its launch, Secon hopes to inspire a new wave of young people entering the cyber security industry.